A bit about Ancor…
Ancor Velez Martin was born in Gran Canaria and his initiation with music was through folklore at the tender age of 9 years old. When he was 14 years old he joined the “Conservatorio Superior de Música de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria”, the Higher Music Conservatory of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria where he learned to play violoncello and piano.
It wasn’t until he was 16 years old that he didn’t start singing professionally, initially with a band of Latin music. Two years later he was singing with the choir of the “Orquesta Filarmónica de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria”, the Philarmonic Orchestra of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria” and the choirs of the Ópera de Canarias.
Ancor currently works in Lanzarote singing in bars and hotels, his repertoire ranging from pop to classic. He is also a member of “Opera Tres”, a tribute band of “Il Divo”.
He certainly showcased his wide range of styles with the choice of songs for the LMU charity concert.
This is Ancor’s playlist for the Lanzarote Musicians Unite 2020 charity concert in aid of Emerlan:
1. “And I am telling you” by Jennifer Hudson.
2. “El sol que no regresa” by La 5ª Estación – starting at minute 5 and 17 seconds.
3. “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse – starting at minute 7 and 55 seconds.
4. “Será que no amas” by Luis Miguel, a Spanish version of the catchy “Blame it on the boggie” – starting at minute 10 and 16 seconds.
5. “Solo le pido a Dios” by Ana Belén ( one of my favourite Spanish singers growing up and a fab song!) – starting at minute 12 and 33 seconds.
You can listen to his lively contribution by watching the video on the “Lanzarote Musician Unite” group or here.
If you like it, don’t forget to subcribe to his channel on YouTube!
For other Lanzarote Musicians Unite 2020 artists’ playlists, click here.